Diet/nutrition seems to be a source of disagreement between Glider owners. All I can say is, research, research, research. I have spent way too much money, just trying out foods for my gliders.
Sugar gliders can not stay healthy on pelleted food alone. Some believe that cat food is for cats, but you will see some diets with a few pellets of cat food. You have to make your own choices for your own gliders.I do not use pelleted food.
Copyright 2010 Hartland Sugar Gliders: Sugar Glider. All Rights Reserved.
Sugar Glider Breeder Licensed by the USDA
The cost of making this is $3.68 a month per glider, per month, not including fruits and veggies.
Here is what I feed my Glider's ( Per Gilder )
1.Reep's Wombaroo DIet ( 2 teaspoons mix per glider per night)
( Ingredients Below)
2 Tablespoons Wombaroo High Protien Supplement
1/4 cup Mixed Baby cereal
2 Jars ( 2.5 oz.)Chicken baby food or (2 extra large eggs)
6 oz Apple Juice
Mix all ingredients in bowl. It will look like cake batter. Serving size is 2 teaspoons per glider. You will get 30 servings.
Also after you make initial mix, serve your gliders for the night, then put the rest in several ice cube trays. Once frozen, it is 1/2 cube per glider.
2. 1 tablespoon Vegetables (if you use frozen, use Birseye Steamers ( no salt in them)
( not canned )
3. 1 tablespoon Fruits ( not canned) you can use frozen if you wish.
Make sure to alternate the food, do not feed the same thing every night.
4. Make sure to keep Calcium/Phospherous levels 2:1 ( this diet does that )
5. Yogurt 2 tsp Mon-Wed-Fri
6. Yogies (during bonding and play)
7. Fresh water ( I use the the water bottles. Make sure the water bottles are working, touch the opening to see if water disperses when touched. Gliders can dehydrate very easy. I check my bottles in the evening when I am giving food, and/or in morning before play/bonding.Do not add vitamins in the water.
Some days , gliders will not eat certain foods, but, usually after one or two days appetite picks back up. If the gliders appetite does not improve, you may need to take it to the vet.
And nobody knows everything about the sugar glider diet. Keep an open mind, ask your veterinarian. Do not feed anything that you are not sure of.
Here is list of some fruits and veggies that are glider safe.
Here is a list of Fruits and vegetables
Celery and leaves
Sugar snap pea
Diet/nutrition is very important for the sugar glider. Variety is important for your glider.
Sugar Glider Diets should consist of 40 to 50% protein and 40 to 50 % Fruits and Vegetables, Mealworms, treats, and fresh water ( do not use tap water or distilled )
The Calcium/Phosphorous ratio should be 2:1.